Are you struggling to deal with the aftermath of a devastating pedestrian accident in Richardson? Do you suspect that someone else’s irresponsible or negligent conduct is the cause of your injuries? Are you unsure what legal options are available to you?
If so, contacting a Richardson pedestrian accident lawyer at Underwood Law Office could give you the answers you have been seeking. If someone else is responsible for causing your injuries, you can hold them accountable. To learn more about how to pursue your pedestrian accident insurance and civil claims, reach out to our office for a free consultation.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Richardson
Immediately after being struck by a car, you may be scared and not sure what to do next. It is important to take certain precautionary measures to protect yourself when you pursue your case against the liable party.
Here are some of the most important steps you should take after being involved in a pedestrian accident:
- Always call 911 after you have been involved in an accident. After being struck by a car, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle, contacting emergency responders will be of utmost importance. This is because police will be able to file crash reports that detail how the accident occurred. This will help your attorney establish liability.
- If you are physically capable of doing so, document the scene and gather evidence to support your case. You might take photos of your injuries and any property damages, connect with witnesses, and obtain the contact information and insurance details of all involved parties.
- After emergency responders have arrived at the scene of the pedestrian accident, you need to obtain a medical evaluation. You can be evaluated at the scene, be transported to the hospital, or head to urgent care depending on the circumstances of your case. You will want to rule out any invisible injuries and obtain the treatment you need to stabilize and begin recuperating. Even if you feel OK in the aftermath of the accident, it is important to seek treatment so you can prove your injuries were caused by the pedestrian accident. Establishing medical records will also help your attorney.
- Once your medical evaluation is complete and you are stable, your next call should be to your pedestrian accident attorney in Richardson. The sooner you get an attorney on your case, the sooner we can start gathering evidence that may only be available for a limited amount of time, such as video surveillance footage or witness statements.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Richardson, call (972) 535-6377
How a Richardson Pedestrian Accident Attorney Could Help You
Having a Richardson pedestrian accident lawyer on your side could prove to be an invaluable asset. When you have a personal injury lawyer advocating for you, you can expect:
- To be updated regularly regarding the status of your case
- Access to your personal injury lawyer when you have questions you need answered
- Assistance in negotiating with the insurance company for a fair and reasonable settlement
- A team of legal professionals to closely evaluate the cause of your injuries and prove liability
- Your damages to be accounted for in full so you can maximize your compensation
Richardson Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
Pedestrian Accident Claim Deadline
Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including pedestrian accidents, is just two years. Two years is a limited amount of time to gather the evidence needed to prove liability and pursue both insurance and civil claims.
For this reason, it is critical that you contact a pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible after you have suffered injuries. Otherwise, your case could be at risk for being barred from the Texas civil court system.
Click to contact our Richardson Personal Injury Lawyers today
Causes and Fault for Pedestrian Accidents in Richardson
Pedestrian accidents can happen for a number of reasons. However, some of the more common causes of pedestrian accidents in Richardson include:
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Distracted driving
- Failure to stop at a stop sign or traffic light
- Driving while fatigued
- Road rage
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to yield to the pedestrian’s right-of-way
- Failure to use a turn signal
- Making illegal turns
- Following too closely
- Inclement weather
- Defective motor vehicle parts
- Defective traffic lights
- Missing traffic signs
- Unsecured road construction zones
Your attorney will carefully examine the way in which your pedestrian accident occurred to determine who is at fault. For example, in cases where the liable party was failing to adhere to traffic laws, the negligent driver could be held accountable.
Other times, when dangerous road conditions caused pedestrian accidents, government agencies, municipalities, and other third parties could share liability for your damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Pedestrian Accident Victims Are Compensated
Richardson pedestrian accident victims can be compensated in several ways for their damages. Generally, this includes:
- Filing a claim with the insurance company of the liable party
- Filing an insurance claim with your own insurer
- Pursuing a civil lawsuit against those responsible for causing your pedestrian accident injuries
By filing a claim with the insurance company, you can recover compensation for specific types and amounts of damages. This could include medical expenses, property damages, and in some cases, lost wages.
If the liable party doesn’t have insurance coverage, or if the insurance settlement is not adequate enough to meet your needs, pursuing a lawsuit may be in your best interests. Here, you could recover both your economic damages and non-economic damages in full.
Contact a Richardson Pedestrian Accident Attorney for Help Today
The pedestrian accident claims process can be complex. Whether you have to file a complicated insurance claim or prepare to bring your case to trial, help from a Richardson pedestrian accident lawyer at Underwood Law Office can enable you to rest easier.
If our team takes on your case, you could heal while we work on establishing liability and recovering total compensation for your suffering. To get started on your claims, fill out our quick contact form or call our office to schedule your no-cost, risk-free consultation today.
Call or text (972) 535-6377 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form