The Underwood Law Office encourages college-bound community leaders to apply for The Underwood Law Office Community Leadership Scholarship. We will award $1,000 to the winning applicant—someone who embodies the qualities of leadership and a deep-rooted interest in community involvement and improvement.
All applicants must meet the eligibility criteria, submit an application, and write and submit an essay on the topic outlined below. The deadline by which all applications must be received is June 15, 2023.
The Underwood Law Office Community Leadership Scholarship
The legal team and staff at The Underwood Law Office are deeply committed to the local community. One way they fulfill this drive for service is by offering scholarships to university and college-bound students who speak to the issues that the law firm regards as significant and relevant to building a stronger society.
Why We Created This Scholarship
Healthy communities are built on a bedrock of many skills, ideas, and passions. But most importantly, healthy communities are led. The Underwood Law Office believes firmly that what the world needs most today are community leaders who can direct the growth and prosperity of their communities with forward-thinking minds, service-driven hearts, formidable intelligence, uncanny adaptability, humble self-awareness, and soulful dedication.
Our law firm has created The Underwood Law Office Community Leadership Scholarship to bring to light the individuals who possess these characteristics and to help support them in their higher education so they may emerge as leaders who can shape the communities of tomorrow.
What We Are Looking for in Applicants
We would like to hear from a diverse group of applicants. It does not matter if you have just been accepted to a college or if you are midway through your higher education. If you have a passion for the importance of community and you display this passion through your actions, behaviors, thoughts, extracurricular activities, internships, and/or jobs, and you meet the eligibility criteria below, we want to hear from you.
Eligibility for The Underwood Law Office Community Leadership Scholarship
To qualify as an applicant for The Underwood Law Office Community Leadership Scholarship, students must fulfill the following criteria:
- 2.5 GPA or higher (applicant must attach include an unofficial transcript with their application)
- Compose an essay on the topic below and submit it with the application
- Agree to the scholarship’s Terms and Conditions
- Complete the application form on this page and submit it and all supporting documentation by the deadline
- Demonstration of financial need is not required.
- Candidates must give evidence of significant community service performed as well as their desire to be engaged in community service throughout their lives
- Recipients must provide one or more letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your community involvement.
- Recipients must be making satisfactory academic progress according to the norms established by the University or College
- Submission of the resume in the general application is required for this scholarship
- Honors, awards, and extracurricular activities will be taken into consideration
Please write a personal essay responding to the question, “What is the meaning of service?” The best essays will include specific and engaging personal anecdotes and be well-crafted. Please limit the submission to 1,000 words.
“What is the meaning of service?”
Deadline for Submissions
All scholarship applications must be submitted by June 15, 2023, no exceptions.
The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
We regret that, for legal reasons, we are unable to accept calls, emails, or other communication regarding the scholarship, or answer any questions, other than those submitted here. All the necessary details about this scholarship can be found above. We will make sure to contact you in case we need any further information.
Any applications received after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
Announcements about the previous winners of our scholarship can be found by clicking one of the links below:
2021 Winner: Emily Eason
2022 Winner: Grace Callard