866-523-0499 (Toll Free)
Email: Email Me
Mark Underwood is the owner of Underwood Law Office, Inc. He makes the world safer by representing victims needlessly injured by others.
He currently represents 185 victims of the West, TX fertilizer plant explosion that killed 15 and injured 300. He also represents six of 14 class representatives in the class action arising from the Freedom Industries MCHM chemical spill that poisoned the water for 300,000 people in Charleston, WV.
Past cases have ranged from the catastrophic Upper Big Branch coal mine explosion, to customers set fire at gas stations by static electricity, and a $40.00 ERISA case that made international news. He has been featured on talk shows, including Fox & Friends. A medical malpractice case was discussed on Oprah.
He is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts of West Virginia, Texas, California and Washington, D.C.
He was elected a member of the West Virginia State Legislature in 1996 at age 32.
He has been recognized by Virginia Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business, (2007), Marquis Who’s Who in American Law (2005-present), Marquis Who’s Who in America (2005-present), and Marquis Who’s Who in the World (2005-present). He is a graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (1992), the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College (2001) and the American Association of Justice’s Ultimate Advocacy College (2002, 2013).
He received his law degree from the Pepperdine University in Malibu, California in 1989. He graduated from Marshall University with a Bachelors of Business Administration (Finance) in 1986.
While attending law school, Mark was elected to the School of Law Honor Board which adjudicated violations of the school’s honor code. He studied international law in London, England. While in college, Mark was the captain of his college track team and a conference champion in the pole vault.
Mark formerly practiced law in Los Angeles, California, for Crosby, Heafey, Roach & May which has since become the California offices of one of the world’s largest firms, Reed Smith.
He completed his first marathon at 48 years of age in Dallas, TX. He has been skydiving, heliskiing, white water rafting and obtained his private pilot’s license.
He is married to Cynthia Walker Underwood of McKinney, Texas. They have a son, Chace Forest Underwood. They reside in McKinney, TX.
Areas of Practice
- 30% Injury and Car Wrecks
- 30% Mass Torts and Disasters
- 20% Disability Law
- 10% Criminal Defense
- 10% Family Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1989
- West Virginia, 1996
- Texas, 2007
- District of Columbia, 1998
- Pepperdine University, Malibu, California
- J.D. – 1989
- Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia
- B.A. – 1986
- Major: Finance
- Major: Business Law
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Business, 2007
- Marquis Who’s Who in American Law, 2005 – present
- Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2005 – present
- Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 2005 – present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association of Justice, Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- West Virginia House of Delegates, Member, 1997 – 1998
Past Employment Positions
- Hagenbush & Murphy, Lawyer, 1989 – 1992
- Crosby, Heafey, Roach & May, Lawyer, 1992 – 1995
Pro Bono Activities
- Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College