For many people, a slip and fall accident is embarrassing. For others, it can end in serious injuries and even death, depending on the height of the fall. If you or a loved one sustained severe injuries in a slip and fall accident in Richardson, Texas, you might be entitled to get compensation for losses related to your injuries.
Call Underwood Law Office at (972) 316-4236 for a free case evaluation. You can also continue reading to learn more about the legal services we provide to clients who are interested in filing a slip and fall claim or lawsuit. A Richardson slip and fall lawyer can help you with your case until its conclusion.
Your Case Might Be Ruled by Premises Liability Law
Businesses and companies have a duty to keep people safe from harm on their property. The same can be said about homeowners, landlords, and other types of property owners. When a person gets injured on someone else’s property, their case might fall under premises liability law if the injury was caused by the owner’s negligence.
Wherever you slipped and fell, you will need to prove four basic elements to assert that the property owner’s negligence caused your injury and related damages. These elements are:
- Duty of care: the property owner owed their guests a duty to keep them safe from hazards on their property.
- Breach of duty: the property owner failed to remedy or alert guests about hazards on their property.
- Causation: because the property owner did not warn guests about prevalent hazards or fix them, this led you to your slip and fall incident.
- Damages: your slip and fall resulted in injuries and other related damages.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall lawyer serving Richardson, call (972) 535-6377
Our Legal Team Offers More Than Just Legal Representation
Many people understand that lawyers represent their clients during negotiation talks and trial cases, but did you know that your lawyer can do a lot more for you than present your case? Building a personal injury case can take time and effort, which can be a lot to take on for one person. When you work with the Underwood Law Office, our legal team works together to build your case.
Below are just a few of the legal services we provide to our clients.
Richardson Slip and Fall Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
We Offer Free Initial Consultations
When you call Underwood Law Office at (972) 316-4236, you can begin a free consultation about your case with one of our team representatives. This first step can serve as an opportunity for you to ask any questions you have about the litigation process, including whether you have a case to bring. You are under no obligation to work with a lawyer to file a claim or lawsuit, but should you decide to hire a Richardson slip and fall lawyer from our firm, we can begin working on your case right away.
We Can Help You Collect Evidence to Support Your Claims
As with most legal cases, evidence is a necessary part of proving the validity of your claims, especially if the opposing party disagrees with your statements. When building your slip and fall case, your lawyer may request different forms of documentation to prove the cause of the accident or the extent of your damages. You may be asked to submit any evidence that is available to you, such as:
- The incident report about the slip and fall
- Medical records of your injury and follow-up treatments
- Invoices for medical treatments you received
- Photos of your injuries and the accident scene, including objects that might have led to the slip and fall
Other evidence might be more difficult to obtain. However, your lawyer might be able to retrieve some evidence on your behalf, such as:
- Video footage that captured the slip and fall, such as from surveillance cameras or a cellphone
- Testimonies from witnesses who saw the accident
- Literature on code regulations businesses or workplaces must follow to avoid harm to others
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We May File Paperwork on Your Behalf
The amount of paperwork involved in legal cases can be overwhelming or intimidating. Some people might not know where to begin or do not feel up to dealing with the amount of forms that need to be filled out for case submissions. As your legal representative, your attorney can handle this task for you and fill out paperwork on your behalf.
They can also make sure that your case abides by the statute of limitations, which is a legal deadline that plaintiffs must meet when filing their lawsuits. According to the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §16.003, you generally have about two years to file a lawsuit about your slip and fall accident, and this deadline begins from the date of injury. Your lawyer can review the incident report about your slip and fall to determine the statutory deadline for your case and file accordingly.
We Can Help You Calculate Damages
After a slip and fall accident, you might have experienced several kinds of damages, and you might not be sure which losses qualify for compensation in a personal injury case. Your lawyer can help you calculate the value of your case by assessing the damages you might be entitled to claim.
Some damages that may be compensable include:
- Medical expenses, including costs for prescription medications, support devices (e.g., wheelchairs and crutches), and rehabilitation
- Wages you lost due to having to heal from your injuries at home or in a hospital
- Lifestyle expenses if your injuries prevent you from living independently and require you to hire third-party services to do at-home tasks, such as cleaning, lawn work, and childcare
You might also be entitled to non-economic damages, such as for your pain and suffering. However, these damages may have a cap on compensation if you are bringing a lawsuit against a physician or health care provider, per the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §74.301.
Contact Underwood Law Office if You Suffered a Slip and Fall Injury
Here at Underwood Law Office, we handle multiple types of personal injury cases, including cases about injuries sustained via a slip and fall. Whether your accident occurred on someone else’s public or private property, you might be entitled to have your damages covered by the liable party or parties. A Richardson slip and fall lawyer at our firm can review your case and determine whether you qualify for a personal injury case and who might be liable for your damages.
Call our team at (972) 316-4236 for more information about our legal services or what kind of proactive steps you can take while we prepare your case.