Slipping and falling can be extremely dangerous. If you hit your head or land on your arm or leg, it could result in serious injury. When someone else’s negligence causes a slip and fall accident, they may be responsible for the victim’s medical bills and expenses.
A Frisco slip and fall lawyer from Underwood Law Office can help you fight for the compensation you may deserve after a slip and fall accident. You should not have to fight alone. To get started with a free consultation from our team, call us at (972) 316-4236.
In This Article
- Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
- Common Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
- The Deadline to Sue for Damages
- Contact Our Team Today
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including the environment and the people involved. While not all slip and fall accidents are caused by the negligence of someone else, many slip and fall accidents can be attributed to the actions of another party.
The cause of a slip and fall accident may be difficult to determine, as a number of different factors can come into play. These factors may include:
Wet floors are a common cause of slip and fall accidents. Wet floors can be caused by many things such as a leaking roof, spilled liquid, rain or melted snow from outside, or a recent mopping. Wet floors could be considered negligence if the hazard could have been prevented, cleaned up, or had a clear warning.
Poor lighting can cause slip and fall accidents if people are not able to see where they are walking. This is often why places have floor lighting in darker rooms. If people are not able to see where they are walking, they might fall down a flight of stairs or trip on obstructions in their path.
Many people rely on handrails to get around safely. When a handrail is not properly secured, it may give out if someone puts pressure on it, causing them to fall. This can be especially dangerous if the handrail is along a set of stairs.
Most people have slipped on ice or a wet sidewalk or street at some point in their lives. However, if the ice or excess water could have been prevented by the property owner, it may be considered negligence. Salt can be put on ice to help prevent slip and fall accidents. When poor weather occurs, icy surfaces should be addressed as soon as possible.
Debris or Objects in the Path
Debris or objects along a path can result in a sudden slip and fall accident. Walkways and paths should remain clear of clutter. Cords are common causes of falls. They might seem to be out of the way, but they can easily catch someone’s foot or shoes if they are not secured. Cords and wires should be either kept out of the walkways or safely secured down.
Once the cause of the slip and fall is determined, a Frisco slip and fall lawyer can help you establish negligence. Our team at Underwood Law Office can work with you to fight to get the compensation you may deserve. For your free consultation with our personal injury team, call (972) 316-4236.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall lawyer serving Frisco, call (972) 535-6377
Common Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can cause more significant injuries than people realize, especially in people aged 65 and older. While some slip and fall accidents result in minor injuries, people can suffer debilitating injuries that can alter their daily life.
Injuries common in slip and fall accidents include:
- Hip fractures: hip fractures are one of the most common types of slip and fall injuries due to the way many people fall.
- Head injuries: hitting your head can be extremely dangerous in a slip and fall accident. Even falling from ground level can be devastating depending on the angle and surface you hit your head.
- Knee injuries: a knee injury can result if you fall in a twisting movement or if you fall and hit your knee on a hard surface.
- Cuts and bruises: cuts and bruises can range from minor to severe. An open wound can result in an emergency room visit, stitches, and possibly even an infection.
- Ligament strains or tears: strains and tears in ligaments can occur if you get caught on something while failing, like a handrail. It can also be caused if you fall at a certain angle.
- Bone fractures: bone fractures, in general, are a common injury when falling. Bone fractures may occur when you hit a hard surface and can cause severe pain along with a need for extensive medical treatment.
Frisco Slip and Fall Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
The Deadline to Sue for Damages
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, you are able to file a claim for the damage you sustained as long as you are within the allowed timeframe for your state. According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code §16.003, you generally have two years to file a lawsuit for a personal injury.
You may be compensated for damages that include:
- Medical expenses
- Any property that may have been damaged
- Loss of income due to time off work
- Pain and suffering you experienced
- A decrease in salary due to your injury
- Future medical expenses you may have
Contact Our Team Today
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, you might be entitled to compensation for the damages you sustained. If you are not sure if your accident was caused by negligence, a representative of Underwood Law Office can go over your accident with you during a free consultation.
Call (972) 316-4236 to get started. The sooner you call, the sooner we may be able to assign a Frisco slip and fall lawyer from our firm to fight for your rights.