After a bicycle accident, you could be facing high medical bills, lost wages, and additional expenses that can be difficult to cover, especially if you are in recovery.
If you were involved in a bicycle accident in Denton caused by a negligent person, you might be able to file a claim and recover monetary damages from the responsible party. At Underwood Law Office, our legal team is here to help you find justice and the compensation you deserve for your losses.
In This Article
- Bicycle Accident Statistics in the United States
- How Long Do You Have to Present a Claim?
- What Kind of Compensation Are You Able to Recover After a Bicycle Accident Claim?
- How Can You Get Compensation For Your Losses?
- When Should You Hire a Bicycle Accident Attorney?
- How Can Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers Help Your Case?
- Contact Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bicycle Accident Statistics in the United States
A lot of Americans use bicycles to go to work, to have fun, or to exercise. This transportation method is very popular, and the number of bicycles in the country is constantly increasing. However, some motorists don’t understand that cyclists have the same rights on the road as them.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2019, 846 bicyclists were killed in a traffic accident, also these accidents are more likely to occur in urban areas (78%) than rural areas (22%), and deaths were 6 times higher for men than women.
Regardless of the most common reasons for bicycle accidents, as a cyclist you do your part by always using your safety equipment and behaving on the road. While motorists need to remember they have to share the road and follow the traffic rules, in order to keep everyone on the road.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Denton, call (972) 535-6377
How Long Do You Have to Present a Claim?
According to the Statute of Limitations for the State of Texas (§ 16.003), the time limit to file a civil suit for a victim involved in a bicycle accident that led to a personal injury is two years, starting from the next day after the event occurred.
Many times, a victim doesn’t know if they have a personal injury. This can be prevented by seeing a doctor. In the best scenario, you are only having minor injuries. However, in the worst scenario, you might have an injury that could affect you for the rest of your life.
If you were involved in a bicycle accident caused by a negligent person, you need to contact a doctor and an attorney as soon as possible. If the statute of limitations has expired, you may not be able to recover any damages, even if you have a solid case.
Denton Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
What Kind of Compensation Are You Able to Recover After a Bicycle Accident Claim?
Every case is different and it is impossible to promise any compensation without knowing all the facts of your case. According to the American Bar Association, the damages for a personal injury claim that you can expect are:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Property damage
- Punitive damages
- Pain and suffering
When presenting a claim in court, there are many factors that can affect the amount you receive. While some of these damages can be quantified, many others, like pain and suffering, are not that easy to add value to.
This is why you should work with a bicycle accident attorney, so they can review your case and provide guidance for the next steps of your claim. We understand that every case is unique, and we get prepared by reviewing your case and gathering all the necessary information.
How Can You Get Compensation For Your Losses?
When filing a complaint, you have two options:
- Insurance company: Normally, when a person suffers personal injuries in an accident, they tend to turn to their insurance company for help. Unfortunately, these companies may not offer the amount of compensation you deserve as a result of your injury. This might affect your economy. Insurance companies tend to give what they believe is enough, always making sure they take care of their own interests and not yours. Sometimes, you could end up needing a bigger compensation to pay medical bills and future treatment that were not considered.
- Civil lawsuit: This option might come in handy because you can expect a bigger compensation as a result of a lawsuit than an insurance company claim. With this option, you could also be able to pursue punitive damages. You may be able to file a lawsuit against the responsible party if they are not cooperating, they don’t have insurance, the settlement is not enough, or you want to seek punitive damages.
Whether you want to file an insurance claim or pursue a civil lawsuit, you always have to be prepared for any event with the help of an attorney. A bicycle accident lawyer in Denton can help you prepare for your case, talk to the insurance company for you, and even defend you at court if necessary.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
When Should You Hire a Bicycle Accident Attorney?
As soon as possible. When you get involved in a bicycle accident that leads to a personal injury, you should start working with a bicycle crash lawyer right after the event. This can provide the necessary time for the lawyer to review your case and find the best solution.
Even if you think the accident didn’t impact your life, or that you don’t have any personal injury, you should see a doctor anyway and contact an attorney as soon as you can. Most of the time, a personal injury can show up later, leaving the victim with no chance of presenting a claim due to the Statute of Limitations.
How Can Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers Help Your Case?
A bicycle accident lawyer can help you by:
- Presenting a claim to your insurance company
- Starting a case in the court if necessary
- Gathering information on your case, like videos, photos, testimonies, police reports, etc.
- Talking to your doctor about your injuries
- Obtaining information from experts about your case
- Collecting the police record of your accident
- Defending your rights at any time in the process
- And more…
When a person becomes a victim of an accident, the insurance companies will do everything to give the victim the lowest compensation. As long as you have a lawyer by your side, they can handle every step of your case so you can focus on your recovery.
We work on a contingency fee, which means that you don’t have to pay anything out of your pocket. We cover our fees only if we win the case and you receive your compensation.
Contact Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Dealing with a personal injury, medical expenses, recovery, and more, may be difficult for you. To relieve the pressure, you should work with a bicycle crash lawyer from our team so they can handle your personal injury case.
In Underwood Law Office, we can take care of the process and help you with all the steps, like dealing with the insurance company or defending your rights at court if necessary. Leave the difficulties to our team, and focus on your recovery and your family. Call us at (972) 535-6377 to schedule a consultation with our lawyers or fill out our online contact form.