Using a bicycle is one of the most common ways to travel around a city. Unfortunately, even though cyclists have bikeways to travel without having to put themselves in danger, sometimes motorists do not respect them, causing serious accidents that lead to personal injuries, or even deaths.
If you or your loved one suffered an accident caused by a negligent motorist, at Underwood Law Office you will find a legal team that can help you with your case. A bicycle accident lawyer is here to help you find justice for any damages the responsible party might have caused you.
Statistics on Bicycle Accidents within the United States
According to a study from the National Safety Council on bicycle accidents in the United States, in 2019 there were 1,089 bicyclist deaths. Out of those, 712 were involved in motor vehicle collisions, while the other 377 were related to other kinds of accidents.
However, in that same study, there is information on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which claims that 846 cyclists were killed in the same year. This represented a 3% decrease compared to the previous year, but it is still a very unfortunate number.
If you are a motorist, take into consideration that you have the duty of care to your fellow motorists, and to cyclists too. Nonetheless, everyone, including cyclists, should behave on the road, so no accidents occur, and the lives of people don’t get ruined.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Allen, call (972) 535-6377
What Are The Most Common Reasons for Bicycle Crashes in Allen?
In a bicycle accident, there can be a lot of people involved, and many reasons it might have happened. Sometimes, due to their size, bicycles are not as easy to spot, the roads may not be in good condition, or even the vehicle itself might present malfunctions.
However, the main reasons bicycle accidents occur can be:
- Distracted driving: Many times, drivers are not focusing on the road. They are talking to another person, changing the music on the radio, daydreaming, or even sending text messages.
- Roads in poor conditions: Some of the roads are not well maintained, or are in poor condition due to construction debris.
- Poor visibility: Low visibility can be caused by fog or poor lighting on the roads.
- Failure to yield: Negligence is a common cause of bicycle accidents. When drivers don’t respect their fellow motorists and cyclists, as well as traffic signals, there are serious consequences.
Some people don’t understand that motorists and cyclists have the same rights on the road, and commit negligence. If you suffered personal injuries because of the actions of a reckless person, call (972) 535-6377 to schedule an appointment with the bicycle accident lawyers of Underwood Law Office.
Allen Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
Common Injuries After a Bicycle Accident
The personal injuries a cyclist can have after an accident can be minor in some cases, but more often than not, they are quite serious, even leading to wrongful deaths.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explain that bicycle accident-related injuries may include:
- Facial injuries
- Dental injuries
- Brain or head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
- Cuts, bruises, or abrasions
- Limb fractures
Even if you think your accident was not serious, you should make an appointment with a doctor immediately after your accident to discuss future health issues. You should also contact a bicycle accident attorney who can provide legal advice on the steps you can take to recover compensation for your injuries, and pain and suffering.
Click to contact our Allen Personal Injury Lawyers today
How Long Do You Have to Present a Claim?
In the State of Texas, there is a Statute of Limitations that limits the time someone who has sustained a personal injury to present a claim or lawsuit. According to this statute (§ 16.003), there is a maximum of two years after the day of the accident to file an insurance claim or civil lawsuit.
Is important to act fast after a bicycle accident. If you take too long to start this process, your case could be dismissed, even if it’s solid.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Types of Damages Are Covered After a Bicycle Accident?
To get to a settlement agreement or compensation, a thorough process must be carried out to determine who is responsible for your accident and your personal injuries.
Nevertheless, if you have a good case, a bicycle accident lawyer can fight for your rights and get you compensation for the following damages:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses (this covers medical treatment, medications, diagnostic tests, etc.)
- Lost earnings and loss of income if your injuries keep you from going back to work
- Permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of a loved one
- Funeral and burial expenses (if you lost a loved one)
To calculate the amount you could receive for your losses, you should contact a lawyer. In Underwood Law Office we are here to help you understand your rights after a bicycle accident. Our legal team is prepared to take the pressure off your shoulders.
What Can a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Do to Help
To find justice for your losses, you first have to contact a lawyer to review all the details of your accident. If you want to get to a settlement agreement, or you want to pursue a civil lawsuit against the responsible party, a bicycle accident attorney can do that and more, for example, they can:
- File an insurance claim or start your case in the court
- Talk to your doctor to examine your medical record about your injuries after the accident
- Obtain testimony from experts on the case, such as doctors, accident reconstruction professionals, or traffic officers
- Interview potential witnesses present at the time of the event
- Collect every video footage or picture of the accident
- Contact the insurance company agents of the responsible party and yours
- Try to get to an agreement or defend your rights in court if necessary
- Gather all the required information for your case
- And more…
Let an attorney help you, so you can take time to recover and be with your loved ones.
Call a Bicycle Accident Lawyer from Our Firm
Do not hesitate to call our legal team from Underwood Law Office as soon as possible at (972) 535-6377 or fill out our contact form. We can review your case and help you determine the best way to seek justice. The best part is we work under a contingency fee, which means we only get paid when we obtain monetary compensation for you.
Call or text (972) 535-6377 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form