Every year, thousands of motorcyclists get into accidents and die. Many more are injured, and some may suffer a permanent disability. In 2019, over 5,000 motorcyclists died while driving their bikes, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). Whether an accident results in death or injury, it leads to many devastating aftereffects. The person in the accident suffers, and often family members do, too.
At Underwood Law Office, we understand the serious nature of someone getting into a motorcycle accident, and we know the laws surrounding accidents and personal injury. An attorney is available to help guide you through the legal process of recovering damages if needed.
In This Article
- How a Lawyer From Our Firm Can Help
- Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
- Statute of Limitations in Texas
- Recovering Damages from a Motorcycle Accident
- Law Concerning Wrongful Death in Texas
- What to Do After an Accident
- Work With a Carrollton Accident Lawyer From Our Firm
How a Lawyer From Our Firm Can Help
When you work with our Carrollton motorcycle accident lawyers, they can:
- Evaluate the evidence and determine who is responsible for damages
- Research all leads to obtain additional evidence if needed to prove liability
- File any necessary paperwork with the insurance carrier
- Discuss settlement options with the insurance adjuster, if applicable
- Go to trial in your case if necessary
Take a look at our case results to get a better idea of working with our firm.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Carrollton, call (972) 535-6377
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
As you can imagine, an accident involving a motorcycle can involve more damage than other vehicles. The sheer size difference between a motorcycle and another vehicle is one factor in why motorcycle accidents often have worse outcomes. Another factor that creates a heightened risk for injuries is the driver’s proximity to the ground. Some of the injuries that people in motorcycle accidents may incur include:
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries.
- Facial injuries, including dental injuries.
- Injuries to the lower extremities.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Upper body injuries, including broken arm and ribs.
In addition to the physical injuries, the trauma from an accident may lead to post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, or depression. An attorney from our firm can determine the extent of your damages. This may involve scheduling other medical appointments to assess your condition.
Carrollton Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
Statute of Limitations in Texas
Texas law allows motorcycle drivers to seek compensation for any of the injuries listed above or others not listed in the event of an accident. However, be advised that there is a statute of limitations in Texas, as there is in all states. Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.033, you have two years to file a suit claiming injuries in an accident. It’s always advisable to begin the legal process as soon after the accident as possible because the incident will be clearer in your mind.
Recovering Damages from a Motorcycle Accident
There is a range of damages you might incur from a motorcycle accident. A Carrollton motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm can help you take the steps necessary to recover damages. Some damages you may be eligible for include:
- All expenses you’ve paid to recover from your injuries
- Future costs to treat injuries (i.e., physical therapy)
- Lost wages or a reduction in earnings
- Pain and suffering from your injuries
- Loss of consortium
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Law Concerning Wrongful Death in Texas
Many times, a motorcycle accident is fatal. When this occurs, the loved ones left behind may be eligible for a wrongful death claim. In Texas, a wrongful death suit must follow the statute of limitations guidelines as stated above, meaning it must be filed within two years. People eligible to file a wrongful death claim include:
- Children (including an adopted child)
Siblings of the decedent may not file a wrongful death claim in Texas.
The type of damages that may be recoverable in this type of case include the following:
- Funeral expenses.
- Medical expenses from the time between the accident and death.
- Any lost income that the person incurred.
- Lost inheritance.
- Pain and mental anguish.
What to Do After an Accident
When an accident occurs, you may not know what steps to take to best protect your interests. In some instances, you may not be able to do much if you’re severely injured. However, there are some things you can do after an accident—either immediately or as soon as you’re well enough to do it.
- Write down what happened: If you aren’t extremely injured during the incident, you could take a few notes right away. These would be helpful when the police arrive. If you’re not able to do that, you can write down any details you remember later. This will be helpful when you talk to a Carrollton motorcycle accident lawyer later. You might think you’ll remember everything, but it’s common to forget key details that may be relevant.
- Solicit eyewitnesses: Many times, a bystander will witness the accident and come over to assist. Ask the person if they can describe what they saw. If there are conflicting stories about what occurred, an eyewitness may come in handy.
- Fill out a police report: Be sure you fill out the police report; ensure it’s accurate, then get a copy.
- Receive medical attention: Some people fail to get a medical evaluation because they feel alright at the moment. However, by the next day, they are suffering. That’s why it is critical to seek medical help right after an accident.
- Seek assistance for recovering damages: If you were injured in the accident or suffered pain, you might want to take steps to recover the damages. Our Carrollton motorcycle accident lawyers can assist you with this process.
Work With a Carrollton Accident Lawyer From Our Firm
Take the first step in recovering the damages you’ve incurred from a motorcycle accident. Learn more about how a Carrollton motorcycle accident lawyer at Underwood Law Office can handle your case.
At Underwood Law Office, we fight for fair compensation. After careful analysis of the details of your case, an attorney from our firm can determine liability and begin building a case. Contact our office for a consultation at (972) 535-6377.