Car accidents can leave you with injuries, a long-term recovery process, and no way to earn income while you heal. If another driver was at fault for your accident, Texas law allows you to pursue compensation for these damages, but this process is not always easy. An insurance company may dispute your claim or try to settle your case for a low amount.
If you want legal help on your side, a Carrollton car accident lawyer from Underwood Law Office may be able to represent you. As soon as you sign on, we can take over all communications and paperwork in your settlement negotiations. If the responsible party’s insurance company refuses to make you a fair offer, we can take them to trial.
Underwood Law Office operates on a contingency-fee basis. In this agreement, you pay us nothing for our work unless and until you recover compensation in a settlement offer or court award. We invite you to call our firm today for a free, no-obligation consultation on your case with a member of the Underwood Law Office team.
Who Can Be Liable for a Car Accident
In a personal injury lawsuit, the party whose negligent actions caused the crash may be held liable for the victim’s damages. There are many ways that a driver can cause an accident with a negligent act. These behaviors include:
- Distracted driving, such as reading a text message, eating instead of steering, or taking their eyes off of the road to check directions or adjust the climate controls
- DWI: In Texas, driving with a blood alcohol concentration at or above 0.08%—or while impaired by drugs or a controlled substance—can result in a charge of driving while intoxicated (DWI), per Texas Penal Code § 4904.
- Violating a traffic law,such as speeding, failure to yield, making an illegal lane change, running a red light or stop sign, or driving at night without headlights
Sometimes, a non-driver third party can be liable for a car accident as well. Consider the following:
- A negligent mechanic who did not maintain a safety system
- A negligent product manufacturer who caused an accident after a component, such as an airbag or a steering axle, malfunctioned
- A negligent city road crew that closes off a lane for maintenance without putting the correct signage up first, causing an accident
When Underwood Law Office represents you, our investigative team can identify the liable party in your case. If you believe that another party caused your accident, no matter what the circumstances were, call us today for a free consultation with a representative of our firm.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Carrollton, call (972) 535-6377
Evidence in a Car Accident Case
A Carrollton car accident lawyer from Underwood Law Office will gather evidence to attempt to prove two things when we represent you: the liability of the responsible party and the value of your damages. Evidence of liability may include things like:
- Any CCTV, traffic camera, dash cam, or security footage of the accident we are able to obtain
- Photos, videos, or police reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Your medical records
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts about how the accident occurred
When it comes to your damages, evidence may include:
- Your medical records
- Statements from medical experts about the cost of your future care
- Documents from your work about missed wages, benefits, and promotions
- Estimates or receipts for the repair or replacement of damaged property, such as your vehicle
- Statements from experts about the value of your non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering
Carrollton Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
Damages You May Be Able to Recover in Carrollton Car Accident Case
In general, the following damages may be available to car accident victims in Texas:
- Emergency treatment and all medical bills, both current and future
- Lost wages for the time you were unable to work due to your recovery
- Reduced earning capability, if your injuries prevent you from returning to work in the same capacity as before the accident
- Property damage expenses, if you need to get your vehicle repaired or replaced
- Non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life
If a car accident in Carrollton took your family member’s life, you may be able to pursue a different set of damages in a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party. Underwood Law Office also handles these wrongful death cases. Call us today to learn more about the unique rules surrounding these cases.
Click to contact our Carrollton Personal Injury Lawyers today
What to Expect When Working with a Lawyer on Our Team Serving Carrollton
When you work with a Carrollton car accident lawyer from Underwood Law Office, we may be able to take over your case from day one. In addition to investigating your accident and gathering evidence, our firm can:
- Discuss your case, answer your questions, and give you legal advice at any time
- Handle all communications with involved parties or their insurance companies on your behalf
- Negotiate with the responsible party’s insurance company for a fair settlement offer based on the evidence we provide
- Establish the at-fault and liable parties
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company is unwilling to make you a fair offer
- Conduct your case in compliance with Texas personal injury law
There Is a Time Limit to Sue for Your Car Crash Damages
It is important to know about the time limits in your case if you are considering legal action for your injuries. In Texas, the general statute of limitations for both personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits is two years, per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003.
There could be some circumstances that change this general deadline and require you to act even sooner. A representative of Underwood Law Office can help you understand which specific deadlines pertain to your case when you call us for your free consultation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our Firm’s Track Record and Former Clients Can Attest to Our Drive and Commitment
The attorneys at Underwood Law Office work to secure the best financial outcome for our clients. Examples of our past case results include:
- $750,000 after our client was rear-ended and had to get his C4 and C5 vertebrae fused due to his neck injury
- $201.798.75 for our client who suffered a neck injury after getting side swiped by another driver
- $1.179 million for our client who suffered a brain injury when he was driving his employer’s car and one of the defective tires caused him to hydroplane during inclement weather
Hear From Our Past Clients
On top of pursuing the compensation our clients need, our attorneys and the rest of the team work to provide compassionate and responsive legal care. Some of their testimonials are below:
“Mark Underwood and his firm are highly recommended! Melissa did a phenomenal job assisting with my car accident case. She was very informative and thorough. Their communication throughout the process was superb and in the end Mark went to battle for me and won!” —Jessica A.
“The entire staff is very attentive and focus solely on your case while dealing with you. They are knowledgeable and efficient. Patrick Stephens and Mark Underwood are true champions of justice as far as I am concerned!” —Greg B.
If you ever have questions about the status of your case or what the legal process entails, don’t be shy to consult your attorney. We never want you to feel like you’ve been left in the dark.
How You Can Protect Yourself Throughout the Legal Process
You can rely on your lawyer to handle each aspect of your case from start to finish. Nevertheless, there are a couple things you can do to help yourself, too.
Seek Medical Attention Promptly
It’s common for people to call an ambulance after a car accident. Whether or not someone did at the time of your crash, you should get medical assistance. Your physician will examine you, diagnose your injuries, and start treating you.
Of course, going to the doctor immediately following the crash helps ensure your health is in check and addresses your underlying injuries. It also, however, demonstrates a connection between the crash and your injuries. In turn, the longer you delay your doctor’s visit, the more room the insurance company has to debate or deny your claim.
For example, they could say that your injuries weren’t severe enough for you to get medical attention or that something else triggered them.
Avoid Talking to the Insurance Company
Usually, the other party’s insurance company will reach out to you a couple of days after the accident. They may ask for a recorded statement that details your version of the accident. Don’t feel obligated to share this information with them, as they may manipulate your words to safeguard their bottom line.
In the event they call you, just give them your insurance information and refer them to your lawyer, and they will handle all communication from there.
Call Underwood Law Office Today for a Free Case Review
To learn more about working with a car accident lawyer from Underwood Law Office, call us today. A member of our firm will discuss your accident, your legal options, and our services as part of this free consultation. If we believe you have a viable case, we may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee basis with nothing due up front.
The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
Call or text (972) 535-6377 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form