Rideshare apps have increased in popularity every year, with millions of users in the United States annually. In the Carrollton area, we regularly see people using rideshare services like Lyft or Uber to commute to work or make their way around the Metroplex to enjoy the region’s many amenities.
Unfortunately, Lyft drivers are prone to accidents like everyone else. So, if you were involved in a rideshare accident or experienced any loss, you have the right to pursue compensation for your damages. A Carrollton rideshare accident lawyer can review your case and explain your options.
Why Rideshare Accidents Are Unique
Rideshare accidents, like those involving Lyft or Uber drivers, differ from other collisions for several reasons:
- Many drivers for rideshare companies do not have the same training and expertise as traditional taxi drivers.
- Rideshare vehicles are usually personal cars, which are not subject to the same maintenance and safety regulations as taxi cabs.
- Rideshare accidents often involve more than one party, making it challenging to determine who exactly is liable for your damages.
Besides these unique aspects of rideshare crashes, sorting out insurance coverage can be a legal challenge for victims like you.
Determining which insurance policy applies to a rideshare accident can become troublesome because of the many parties involved. For example, you might deal with:
- The rideshare driver’s insurance company
- The rideshare company’s insurance company
- Your insurance company
- The insurance companies of other drivers involved in the crash
- A third-party company’s insurance (e.g., if a mechanical failure led to the accident)
Different insurance coverage applies during different phases of a ride. For example, a driver who has not yet turned on their app would be covered by their insurance policy. However, the moment they activate a rideshare app to provide services, they could be partially covered by the rideshare company’s insurance policy.
To confuse matters even more, policy limits vary depending on what phase of a ride a driver is in. For example, waiting for a passenger could fall under different coverage than after the driver has picked up a passenger. Thus, a Carrollton rideshare accident lawyer could prove invaluable in sorting through this thicket of policy coverages and determining liability.
For a free legal consultation with a rideshare accidents lawyer serving Carrollton, call (972) 535-6377
Determining Liable Parties for a Rideshare Accident
Figuring out who was responsible for an accident can be challenging, especially in a crash that involves many parties. However, proving liability is essential to seeking compensation. Ultimately, determining liability dictates whether you have an actionable claim. Some examples of third-party liability in your rideshare accident include:
- A rideshare driver who operates a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Distracted driving, such as cellphone use, listening to loud music, or engaging in conversation.
- Speeding, failing to obey traffic laws, and other forms of reckless driving.
- Operating a vehicle without a valid license.
- Mechanical failures due to lack of maintenance or a malfunctioning part.
- Seat belts save thousands of lives each year. If the rideshare vehicle did not have a functioning seat belt, your safety was unfairly at risk.
- Rideshare drivers who accept passengers in unsafe driving conditions such as a blizzard.
Carrollton Rideshare Accident Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
Recoverable Compensation for Rideshare Accident Victims
You might have experienced a loss of personal property, had your vehicle totaled, sustained severe physical injuries and emotional distress, and so much more. Each of these losses has a monetary value. You could have compensation awarded based on the suffering you experienced, which could include:
- Damages for physical pain and emotional trauma
- Compensation for any loss of personal property
- Reimbursement for medical expenses you incurred
- Reimbursement for legal fees
- Damages awarded for wrongful death in a fatal crash
You might also have grounds to receive punitive damages, an award that punishes egregious misconduct by responsible parties or rideshare companies like Uber or Lyft.
If you think you have a case, a Carrollton rideshare accident lawyer could review your options as a victim as you navigate this challenging time in your life.
A Lawyer Can Help After a Rideshare Accident
You might consider hiring a lawyer to help you navigate the intricacies of a rideshare accident insurance claim or lawsuit. Some ways in which an attorney with Underwood Law Office could assist following a rideshare accident include:
- Completing and filing paperwork
- Answering your questions
- Bolstering your case by putting together facts of third-party liability
- Determining the compensation you deserve and calculating their value
- Helping you make the best decisions based on a professional legal opinion
- Negotiating with insurance adjusters and defense attorneys for a settlement that completely meets your needs
- Supporting you during a difficult time
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Statute of Limitations
Remember that you do not have forever to decide if you want to file a claim. Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 gives you two years from the rideshare accident date to pursue legal justice in personal injury cases.
The clock is ticking, so the sooner you decide to act, the more likely a judge and jury will hear your case within the legally allotted window.
Contact Underwood Law Office Today About Your Rideshare Accident Case
Do you think you would benefit from working with a rideshare accident lawyer serving Carrollton? If so, consider the team at Underwood Law Office. Our case results demonstrate how our experienced team has recovered millions of dollars for clients.
If experience, satisfied clients, and a dedication to every case are important to you, we could be a good fit. Our team at Underwood Law Office is available to discuss your case today during a free consultation. So, educate yourself on your legal options before you miss the window to recover compensation.