Whether you are a Lyft driver, passenger, or third-party victim, if you were in an accident involving Lyft, you may be lost trying to figure out how to cover your losses. Filing a claim is your first step to getting the compensation that can get your life back on track. Thankfully, a McKinney Lyft accident lawyer from our firm can help.
If you were recently in a Lyft car crash in McKinney, a car accident lawyer from our firm can help you explore your compensation options and guide you through the filing process.
Recoverable Damages For Car Accidents Involving Lyft
Winning your case lets you recover economic and non-economic damages. While building your case, our Lyft accident lawyer in McKinney can help estimate your target settlement value by compiling your expenses and using medical records.
Economic damages include the accident’s financial costs, such as:
- Medical expenses. This can include emergency medical care, hospital bills, medications, tests, doctor’s visits, and ongoing care.
- Property damage. The cost to repair or replace your vehicle could be included in your settlement.
- Lost income. You can recover the income you were unable to receive after an accident.
- Loss of future earning capacity. If the accident affected your ability to work or earn your customary or potential income, you may be able to recover money for this loss.
- Various out-of-pocket expenses. If you had to hire childcare while receiving medical help, use rideshare services or rental cars, or use other services to compensate for inconveniences caused by the accident, you could claim those as losses.
Meanwhile, non-economic damages pay for your pain and suffering, such as disabilities, mental or emotional trauma, disfigurement, and more. This list is not comprehensive. Evaluating the value of injuries to determine a compensation amount is a complex formula. One of our accident attorneys can help.
For a free legal consultation with a lyft accidents lawyer serving McKinney, call (972) 535-6377
How Liability Coverage Works in McKinney Lyft Accidents
Transport network companies (TNC) or rideshare services like Lyft must provide liability insurance for their drivers. Liability coverage pays for injury and property-related damages if the Lyft driver causes an accident.
However, Lyft drivers, passengers, and other motorists not involved with Lyft may be covered by the rideshare company’s insurance depending on the circumstances of the accident.
Our lawyer can help you gather evidence to support your case with the proper insurance channel.
How Insurance Works if the Driver Is Logged on to Lyft Waiting for Rides
Once the driver is logged on to Lyft, they are officially on duty even if they have not picked up a passenger yet. Lyft’s insurance coverage will pay for their accidents if they are logged in and get into an accident that is not their fault.
Typically the driver will file with their personal insurance first. If the claim value exceeds their insurance policy limits or their insurance will not cover the accident, Lyft provides the coverage themselves.
What if the Driver Is Engaged in a Ride?
If the Lyft driver currently has a passenger, Lyft’s limits increase as required in Texas Insurance Code Section 1954.053. They should provide up to $1,000,000 in total liability coverage for accidents caused by the driver.
According to Texas Insurance Code Section 1954.052, Lyft must provide at least a minimum liability coverage of:
- $50,000 for bodily injury per person
- $100,000 for bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 for property damages per accident
Drivers who were not at fault in the accident will have their injuries compensated through Lyft’s insurance.
Finally, Lyft provides additional coverage for accidents caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver who crashed into a Lyft driver with passengers inside.
What if the Driver Is Not Logged on to Lyft?
If the driver is not yet logged on to the Lyft app, they are considered off-duty. Their personal auto insurance would kick in, not Lyft’s. That means you would have to file the claim with the driver’s insurance.
McKinney Lyft Accident Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
What is the Deadline for Filing a Lyft Car Accident Lawsuit?
If the insurance company won’t settle for the amount you deserve, or if the liable party’s negligence caused your injuries, your lawyer may recommend filing a lawsuit.
Your McKinney Lyft accident case follows the same statute of limitations as other auto accident actions in Texas. Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Section 16.003, you have up to two years to file your case. Filing after the deadline may hurt the strength of your claim and can give the insurance company license to lower your payout or deny your claim.
We can help you comply with this filing requirement by tracking your progress to see if you are still on schedule.
Click to contact our McKinney Rideshare Accident Lawyers today
How Our McKinney Car Accident Attorney Can Help
Car accidents involving Uber and Lyft can be complicated. When multiple insurances are involved, filing a claim and getting the facts straight are not simple or easy tasks. Thankfully, a lawyer familiar with Lyft policies from our firm can help by:
- Gathering evidence to support your claim
- Communicating with the insurance companies
- Tracking and abiding by filing deadlines
- Analyzing medical records and lost income
- Determining and fighting for fair compensation for your losses
- Filing a lawsuit if the insurance company won’t settle for what you deserve
Our case results prove that we have experience working cases like yours and getting clients compensation for their losses. Here are just a few of the results we were able to secure for former car accident clients:
- A client in a rear-end car crash took home $386,170
- Net winnings for a side-swipe car crash case were $82,006
- A crash resulting in a brain injury earned our client $748,371
Our lawyers have won millions of dollars in compensation for cases like yours.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Speak with Our Lyft Accident Attorney
Taking legal action when huge companies like Lyft are involved can be intimidating. However, the team at Underwood Law Office is ready to rise to the occasion for you. Our McKinney Lyft accident lawyer can provide legal counsel and work with you in forming and presenting your case.
Our legal team has 25 years of experience handling injury cases in various Texas cities, including McKinney. We are here to share our legal knowledge anytime, so you can call or schedule a free consultation online, today.
Call or text (972) 535-6377 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form