Because of a scooter’s small size and limited protection, you are more at risk for serious bodily injury if you get into an accident. Drivers of motor vehicles may not be on the lookout for scooters like they are for other vehicles, but that doesn’t absolve them of their responsibility. They are still obligated to follow the traffic laws, as they concern scooter riders.
If you were in a scooter accident, you may have a lot of questions about what comes next. A McKinney scooter accident lawyer with Underwood Law Office can help you sort through the process of putting your life back together and recovering the losses you’ve incurred.
In This Article
- How Our Scooter Accident Lawyers Can Serve You
- How You Can Pay for a Scooter Accident Lawyer With Our Firm to Assist You
- Recoverable Damages in a McKinney Scooter Accident Case
- Types of Injuries That Are Common in Scooter Accidents
- If Both Parties Share Fault for the Scooter Accident
- Your Next Steps if You’ve Been in a Scooter Accident in McKinney
How Our Scooter Accident Lawyers Can Serve You
Because injuries from a scooter accident can be so debilitating and require intense treatment, you may feel like taking legal action is insurmountable. However, when you have Underwood Law Office on your side, you’ll be able to focus on getting better without any added stress. One of our lawyers can work on your behalf. Their responsibilities will involve:
- Hunting down evidence and compiling it into a comprehensive file
- Establishing the other party’s negligence, in that they owed you a duty of care, violated it, and caused the scooter crash, which led to your injuries and losses
- Handling the back-and-forth with other parties involved in your case
- Fighting for a fair settlement
- Taking your case to trial if they cannot achieve a fair settlement
It’s important to get in touch with our firm soon, so we can help you meet state deadlines. That is, if we file a lawsuit, we must act quickly. Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code § 16.003 dictates that the state typically enforces a two-year deadline for personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits. If you’re too late to file, the state may keep you from holding the liable party accountable for your damages.
Former Clients Have Shared Their Experiences of Teaming Up With Us
Nobody can speak to our commitment and compassion to our clients better than they can. Here’s what some of them had to say about their time with us.
“I worked with Natalie Hall at Underwood Law. She was so professional, kind and down to earth. She really wanted to see me through on my case and she succeeded! I recommend this firm highly; you won’t be disappointed.” —Cindee D.
“The entire staff is very attentive and focus solely on your case while dealing with you. They are knowledgeable and efficient. Patrick Stephens and Mark Underwood are true champions of justice as far as I am concerned!” —Gregory B.
Our firm has won hundreds of millions of dollars in damages for our clients. Just like with them, our lawyers will strive to give you the responsive legal care, as well as secure the damages, you need.
For a free legal consultation with a scooter accidents lawyer serving McKinney, call (972) 535-6377
How You Can Pay for a Scooter Accident Lawyer With Our Firm to Assist You
Many personal injury law firms require retainers, upfront or out-of-pocket fees, or hourly rates for their help—not Underwood Law Office. Our lawyers will take your case on a contingency-fee basis. They only receive their payment if they procure a financial award for you.
This payment structure allows us to start working on your case now, while also reducing your financial risk. That way, you and your family have nothing to lose when you enlist our firm’s aid.
McKinney Scooter Accident Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
Recoverable Damages in a McKinney Scooter Accident Case
When you get in a scooter accident, you may suffer physically, mentally, and financially. Filing a personal injury claim may help you recover the cost of your damages, including:
- Past and ongoing medical care costs
- Pain and suffering
- Scooter repair or replacement expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Mental anguish
If your loved one suffered fatal injuries in a scooter accident, you and your family could bring a wrongful death case against the liable party. Some damages you can request are:
- End-of-life medical care costs
- Funeral, memorial, or burial arrangement bills
- Loss of income or inheritance
- Loss of consortium or companionship
You could recover other damages that we haven’t written here. Your lawyer can look at all the ways the scooter accident has affected your life and evaluate your losses accordingly.
Types of Injuries That Are Common in Scooter Accidents
There is a risk for serious injury in scooter accidents, as you may not have more protection than your helmet. This kind of accident could throw you a far distance, possibly resulting in life-threatening or permanent injuries. Some of these may include:
- Head and neck injuries, including traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
- Broken or fractured bones
- Cuts, bruises, and burns
- Dental injuries
- Wrongful death
In addition to these physical injuries, you could experience emotional trauma from the accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
If Both Parties Share Fault for the Scooter Accident
In some accident cases, both parties hold the blame. An insurance adjuster determines the percentage of fault of each party by examining the police report and other records.
If you are 50% or less at fault, you can recover damages. The way this process works is as follows:
- You are considered the plaintiff in the case, and the total amount of your damages is calculated.
- The adjuster assigns a percentage of fault to each party.
- Your award is reduced by a percentage equal to the amount of fault you had in the accident.
Suppose the total damages awarded should be $100,000, but you are considered 30% to blame for the accident (maybe you were speeding). Therefore, you are eligible to receive 70% of the award, which is $70,000.
Your Next Steps if You’ve Been in a Scooter Accident in McKinney
If you’ve been in a scooter accident in McKinney, Texas, you may feel unsure about what steps to take next. Allow a lawyer at Underwood Law Office to step in and guide you throughout the claims process.
Contact us today for a free consultation at (972) 535-6377.