Coping with the death of a loved one is already one of life’s most difficult experiences. The misery is doubled when they die due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct. Wrongful death occurs when a family member is killed in an accident that could have been prevented. Your loved one would still be alive today if the at-fault party had not been thoughtless or irresponsible.
You and your family are entitled to compensation to hold the liable party accountable for their actions. An Anna wrongful death lawyer from Underwood Law Office can assist you with these matters.
In This Article
- Parties That Can Be Held Liable in a Wrongful Death Case
- Getting Help from a Wrongful Death Attorney in Anna
- Pursuing Compensation Through a Wrongful Death Claim
- Our Law Firm Works on a Contingency Fee Basis
- Examples of Claims Our Law Firm Successfully Resolved
- There Is a Time Limit to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Texas
- Receive a Free Consultation By Contacting a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Anna Today
Parties That Can Be Held Liable in a Wrongful Death Case
Claimants can file a wrongful death lawsuit against individuals, government entities, medical institutions, businesses, and workers.
In a vehicular accident, the court may find the other motorist, the local government for failing to offer proper warnings about a road danger, and the designer or builder of the defective route to be at fault. In a hospital setting, the doctor, nurses, or the manufacturer of the faulty products might all be to blame.
Please remember that the above are only possible examples, and the court may assign blame to more parties.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Anna, call (972) 535-6377
Getting Help from a Wrongful Death Attorney in Anna
Grieving the death of a loved one is emotionally draining. Therefore, you could assume that immediately hiring a lawyer is not necessary while you are mourning. However, you should be aware that there is a statute of limitations and that it is usually best to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible.
While no amount of money will ever make up for the loss of a loved one, it still has its use. Future financial security and knowing that you will bring the wrongdoers to justice may provide a feeling of closure.
You can pursue damages with the aid of a wrongful death lawyer who has demonstrated promising outcomes in past comparable instances.
Anna Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me (972) 535-6377
Pursuing Compensation Through a Wrongful Death Claim
If another party’s carelessness causes someone’s death, each state permits the heirs, next of kin, or estate representative to bring a wrongful death lawsuit. The following are some of the factors that courts evaluate when determining wrongful death damages:
- The total sum of money earned by the deceased if they had continued to live
- The extent to which the deceased’s survivors were financially reliant on the departed
- Companionship loss
- Expenses for medical and burial services
- Medical expenses
- The value of the deceased’s life
Our Law Firm Works on a Contingency Fee Basis
If you choose Underwood Law Office, you will not have to pay anything during the legal process. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means we will only get our fees if you have a successful outcome in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Examples of Claims Our Law Firm Successfully Resolved
Underwood Law Office is a law firm that focuses on personal injury lawsuits. Here are a few examples of claims that our clients have successfully resolved with our assistance:
- Wrongful Death in an Automobile Crash: Our client was killed in a single-vehicle car accident. Because the collision survivor claimed our client was the driver and he was the passenger, the insurer refused to pay. Even though the insurer had previously produced the policy limits to the survivor, we were able to establish our client was the passenger and collect the insurance limits.
- Bale of Cardboard Crash Death: A poorly placed bale of cardboard weighing roughly 2,000 pounds collapsed on our client on his first day at work, crushing him to death. As a result, we reached a confidential settlement.
- Coal Mine Brain Injury: When an explosion happened as our client started his shift at work, he sustained brain damage and post-traumatic stress disorder. The total amount of the settlement was $1,451,714.29.
There are several such instances where our clients were satisfied with the outcome. We are proud of our success rate and are willing to take on any case, whether it is against a person, insurance company, or a large corporation.
There Is a Time Limit to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Texas
Per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, wrongful death lawsuits must be filed within two years to seek compensation for the loss of a loved one. The rule is known as the statute of limitations. It usually begins on the date of death.
You will lose the right to seek compensation for your loss after the statute of limitations has run out. However, there may be exceptions under specific circumstances, such as:
- The carelessness was not apparent: Plaintiffs may have been uninformed that someone caused the death of their loved one for a long time. If claimants did not find out about the carelessness until years later, the two-year statute of limitations does not start until the day they found out.
- The at-fault party’s carelessness was fraudulently disguised: It is possible that the at-fault party purposefully concealed their involvement or negligence. The statute of limitations does not start running until claimants discover the deception.
- They are a minor: If the victim of a wrongful death lost their life while the plaintiff was underage, the statute of limitations does not begin to run until that plaintiff turns 18.
- They are disabled: If claimants were mentally or physically disabled after being hurt in the same accident that killed a family member, the clock does not start ticking until they regain competency.
To avoid missing the deadline, you should speak with a wrongful death attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you contact an attorney, the better, as they will have more time to gather evidence and build your case.
Receive a Free Consultation By Contacting a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Anna Today
If you lost a loved one due to a negligent accident in Anna, a wrongful death attorney could help you pursue damages. Contact us here to receive a free consultation and learn more about your legal rights.