If you were diagnosed with a medical condition that makes it impossible to work and support your family, you are likely looking for financial help. You might look for financial help by applying for Social Security Disability benefits. However, this can get complicated when your claim is denied.
Our Texas Social Security disability lawyer at Underwood Law Office can find out which benefits you qualify for. We can assist you to file an initial claim, and we can work with you if your claim was denied. Our firm can guide you through the appeals process.
What Are Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) Benefits?
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits are available to anyone who is dealing with a medical condition that could be considered disabling. Your condition must meet the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) definition of disabled. This means:
- You must be unable to make above a certain amount of money each month
- Your mental or physical impairment will either result in death or last for at least 12 months
To qualify, you must have received enough work credits in positions that contributed to Social Security payments.
What Are Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits?
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are not the same as SSDI benefits. Supplemental Security Income benefits are only available for those who are struggling financially, are at least 65 years of age or older, are totally or partially blind, and have a medical condition or disability that prevents them from working. You may be able to apply for both SSDI and SSI benefits.
Do You Need a Social Security Disability Lawyer in Texas?
The process of securing Social Security Disability benefits can get complex. Our team knows how to handle the process of applications and appeals. When we work on your case, we can:
- Gather evidence that demonstrates your need for benefits
- Request reconsideration if your initial claim was not approved
- Represent you in hearings
- Make sure all the necessary forms and paperwork are filed on time
- Answer any questions you have about the Social Security Disability process
During your free consultation, we can listen to you describe your financial situation and the severity of your disability. We can also discuss your potential options going forward.
Furthermore, you can find out how the appeals process works if you have already submitted a claim for Social Security disability benefits but your claim was denied.
What Happens if Your Social Security Disability Claim Is Denied?
It is not uncommon for SSDI and SSI claims to be denied by the Social Security Administration (SSA). If your claim for benefits was denied, you can go through the appeals process. This involves:
- Requesting a reconsideration: Here, an SSA reviewer who did not initially make a determination on your application will take a second look at your Social Security Disability application.
- Requesting a hearing with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ): When you ask for a review of your Social Security Disability application by an Administrative Law Judge, you have the chance to explain your need for benefits in your own words.
- Requesting an Appeals Council review: If an ALJ does not approve your claim, you can ask the Social Security Appeals Council to review your case for any potential errors made by the ALJ.
- Filing a lawsuit in Federal Court: The last opportunity for appealing your denied Social Security Disability claim is filing a lawsuit to have a judicial review of the decision.
Our Previous Clients Have Been Satisfied With Their Case Results
Our Texas Social Security disability lawyers always prioritize our clients. Here are a few reviews from our former clients that describe what they think about their legal advocates at Underwood Law Office:
- “I highly recommend the Underwood Law Office in handling your disability claim. The firm was fast, friendly, and very efficient in helping me through the claim process. My friend referred me to Underwood and I referred another friend as well. We were all successful in receiving our disability benefits. Trust me and go with Underwood. Thank you so much for all you did for me.” – Bruce
- “I highly recommend Natalie Hall of Underwood Law Office for assistance with Social Security Disability problems. She is knowledgeable of Social Security laws and procedures, and was successful in resolving a complicated disability issue.” – Tracy
- “Worked hard reviewing my records, submitting my claim… Natalie was great to respond to questions and representing me.. they won my case! Thanks Underwood!” – Rhonda
When you work with our firm, you can count on us to offer you experienced legal guidance.
The Cost of Working With Our Attorney
When you are dealing with a painful disability and are no longer able to continue working, you may be worried about the cost of hiring a lawyer. At Underwood Law Office, we can listen to the details of your case during a free consultation.
You don’t have to pay us any attorney’s fees upfront. The payment we receive will come as a percentage of your backpay, which is the money you receive while you wait for the SSA to make a decision on your case.
Contact Our Social Security Disability Lawyer in Texas for Help Today
If you are ready to seek the Social Security disability benefits that you are entitled to but do not know where to turn for help, a Texas Social Security disability lawyer at Underwood Law Office is here for you.
Our firm can assist you throughout the appeals process, help you understand why your claim was denied, and assist you as you file your claim for SSI or SSDI benefits. We are ready to take your case and answer any questions you have. Call our office for a free consultation today.