Suffering from an injury or illness can change your life. A disability can limit your abilities. You might not be able to work. Not being able to work can be truly devastating. If you are suffering from an injury or illness that prevents you from working, you may be able to get some assistance by applying for Social Security Disability benefits.
In This Article
- Supplementary Security Income:
- Social Security Disability Insurance:
- Your Claim Will Be Evaluated Through These Steps:
Supplementary Security Income:
Monthly payments are distributed to people on a limited income.
- This is a need-based program and is based on income and assets.
- You must have less than $2,000 in assets and a limited income to qualify.
For a free legal consultation, call (972) 535-6377
Social Security Disability Insurance:
Is a program that provides assistance for people no longer able to work due to their disability.
- In order to qualify you must have been working and paying in taxes. These count as “credits“. If you have enough credits, you may qualify.
- You must be fully insured through the Social Security program.
- Your injury or illness will be evaluated for five months for validity.
In order to have the best chances of qualifying you will want to:
- Make sure paperwork is complete. There is a lot of paperwork involved. You will want to make sure you take the time to diligently complete all of the paperwork. Provide as much information as possible and get assistance if needed. Your claim can be denied if paperwork is incomplete or if you’ve accidently misrepresented items in your documentation.
- You must continue treatment. You have to make an effort to follow through on medical advice. Take medicine and complete therapies and procedures as needed.
- Understand your diagnosis and have clear documentation. You will want to make sure you have a full understanding of your diagnosis. It is also important to have a specialist and regular doctor that you trust. Have them make extensive notes regarding all of your visits, your diagnosis and treatment.
Texas has a lower approval rating for claims than the national average. It might be difficult to get your claim approved, but it is not impossible. You will want to make sure that you have all items in order when you apply for assistance.
Your Claim Will Be Evaluated Through These Steps:
- Your medical records will be read and evaluated. If your records suit the qualifications of the list of impairments, your claim may be approved. If your records do not satisfy these requirements, your claim will move on to the next step for evaluation.
- Your medical records will be evaluated to determine how your illness or injury limits your abilities. Your limitations will then be compared to your job qualifications. Your employment history will be taken into account. If you have a skill set that can still be utilized, you may be expected to work using those skills. If it is determined that you are unable to work within your skill set, your clam may be approved.